After a week of non-stop desserts, too much meat and other bad-for-my-health-ness…. I decided to take a two-day juice cleanse. I’ve never done a juice cleanse before, mainly because I’d have to refrain from exercising and who wants to do that 😉 …. but my body was screaming for a detox and the timing worked out. I spent the first day in a car as my husband drove us from Ithaca to Brooklyn so I didn’t have to move around much. I had a few dull/minor headaches – which google tells me is “a sign of toxins leaving the body”. The second day was much easier. All in all I feel cleaner and ready to start 2014!
Here’s a summary “101” on juice cleanses:
- Keep the fruit ingredients to less than 40-50% of your day’s intake and drink those earlier in the day…. this will reduce dramatic sugar highs and drops.
- Only juice, no pulp! The body spends a lot of energy digesting fiber and you want this energy to temporarily be spent cleansing the body and drawing up old acidic waste. I used a nut milk bag to filter out all the pulp.
- You shouldn’t feel like you’re starving while on a juice fast; drink it as often as you need to in order to keep your appetite at bay and your body nourished (about 6 times a day, every 2 hours or so)
- Buy organic whenever possible
- Drink lots of water! The juice doesn’t count towards your recommended daily water intake.
- You can include herbal teas and/or vegetable broth as well but avoid liquids which will tax the body such as coffee, caffeinated teas, milk, soda, pasteurized juice, protein powder mixes, diet drinks etc.
Juice recipes (a mix of homemade and store brought):
- Pictured above in the glass – Raspberry-Orange: 1 cup raspberries, 1 apple, 2 oranges
- Pictured above in the pitcher – Brocco-Carrot: 3 spears broccoli, 6 carrots, 3 apples
- Beet: 2 carrots, 2 beets, celery, 1 apple
- Liquid Salad: 1 head of red leaf lettuce, 1 carrots, 1 apple, 1/2 bunch of kale, handful of spinach
- My Plastic Surgeon Got Laid Off …… By Me: Cucumber, Aloe Vera, E3Live
- Super Green: Orange, Mango, Apple, Pineapple, Raspberry, Spirulina, Chorella, Wheat Grass, Barley Grass, Dulse
Disclaimer: It’s always best to talk to your doctor before ever starting any kind of detox diet.